Monday, March 7, 2016

Cross Stitch Pigs

Yesterday I got the urge to start a new project, so of course I obeyed that urge!  (Never mind the approximately 50 projects of different types I have going...)  Years ago I cross stitched some kitchen towels that I have used ever since, and they are getting pretty worn out--the stitching is completely gone in some spots and the towels themselves are getting fairly threadbare.  I've been wanting to make some more, in particular this one with the pigs in the upper right-hand corner.


I know, I know, it's kinda corny and cutesy, but, darn it, I like it!  For some reason, those pigs just make me smile.  Plus I like making something I know is going to be used.  (See the designs with the vegetables in the middle?  Those are the ones I stitched years ago that are all worn out.)  I've probably had this booklet for close to twenty years now.  And those pigs are just as relevant today as they were twenty years ago!

Anyway, here's my progress so far:


My husband helpfully told me that from a distance this appears to be bloodstains.  Thanks.  Thanks, honey.

In other creative news, I got this book in the mail today.  The author's approach to making art is based (somewhat, at least) on exploring your personal symbology.  At first I thought, "Oh, I don't have any personal symbols," but as I started to think about it, I realized I really do have some symbols that keep showing up in my life and artwork.  A door, face, sun, moon, stars, meander pattern.  Then I thought, "I won't be able to come up with any deep meanings for these symbols."  But again, as I thought more about them, the meanings just started popping up.  This is cool, because it really gives me a place to start when it comes to art journal pages and canvases.  

No comments:

Post a Comment