Since I want these to finish at 3", I am starting with 1 1/2" black squares to which to add the triangle star points.
I also used 1 1/2" squares, cut in half diagonally, for the star points, and sewed them onto one corner of the black square, making sure that the triangle would cover the corner of the black square when folded down. I pressed that corner down, then added another triangle to the opposite side.
Of course, these all had to be trimmed down to 1 1/2" squares once the star point triangles were applied and pressed. That's the fussy part of this whole process!
Then the block gets assembled in rows.
And that's where I ran out of steam for the evening! I'll get these blocks sewn together tomorrow and start on the next round as well!